February 2, 2013

There is a fine line...

There is a saying that I have....there is a fine line between dedication and insanity...and when it comes to running...that line is very very fine. 

So today I knew I needed to get my long run in....8 miles to be exact....however the Weather Channel was calling for 2-4 inches of snow our way starting at around 9 a.m. Needless to say, this left me with 2 options...well 3 really but that 3rd one wasn't an option, which was skipping the run altogether. But my other 2 options were A) Go use the track at Kids America and go around that track a billion times or B) Brave the sub Arctic outdoor temperatures. Needless to say my body woke me up at 6 a.m. and though I laid there for about 20 minutes debating on whether or not to crawl out of my nice warm cozy bed, I reluctantly got my gear on (which I laid out the night before so there were no excuses) and headed out before my brain could tell me no. Though I was what I considered bundled up...it was COLD OUT THERE!! 14 degrees to be exact...6 with the windchill. My fingers were frozen by the time I got down my alley (and yes I had mittens on). I decided against going my usual long route and decided to do my usual longer school route instead since I figured the roads would be clearer and if I fell or needed help at least there were houses nearby...lol. Overall the route was clear...only a couple little icy spots, but nothing major at all. The biggest problem....the wind and keeping my face warm....definitely need something for my face...thought about one of those face masks, but afraid people would think I'm some sort of criminal running away from something.....face masks have truly gotten a bad rap! Not to mention by halfway through my run though the rest of my body (other than my face) was getting warm...my core was FROZEN!! I literally could not feel it! My core usually gets pretty cold after a good workout...but this was like icebox cold. Needless to say my core was beet red when I got home and took a while to thaw out. Needless to say I think I need to rethink my outdoor gear and maybe dress a little warmer than I did...though I thought I did, I obviously need to bundle up a bit more. So I'm on the lookout for good winter running wear...nothing hugely bulky but will keep me warm while wicking away the moisture. If you have any suggestions let me know.

So would I do it again....as insane as it sounds, probably YES. Though I froze and it wasn't an easy in the cold...I far prefer being outside than running in circles around a mind numbing track. Don't get me wrong, I like the KA track and it serves me well...just not for 8 long miles...much rather be outside for my long runs....and thus, I hope and pray that next week's long run will be a bit warmer....though I did hear that the groundhog did not see his shadow today so hopefully an early Spring will be upon us and I can continue with training outside more often!

Overall training has been going pretty well...still having trouble grasping cross training and what to do that would work best....found a new Nike app that has exercises so maybe I'll try those.

Well I'm going to get my family some dinner and continue trying to thaw out...unfortunately been a pretty lazy day...just laundry and dinner. Oh well...I'm hoping to paint the second coat on my hallway/stairway next week and finally have that project done...it will be so nice to finally have that finished...though it does make my stairwell seem a bit smaller, I'm glad it's finally having a nicer look.

Well have a great weekend everyone and stay warm!!

No comments: