November 14, 2008

The way of life today

My eyes have been opened in so many ways these past few days...being a stay at home mom kind of puts you in a bubble and I've been in that bubble for almost 9 years! I'll work backwards here...

First of all today I had to do the Accelerated Reader program with Colton's 1st grade class...I volunteer twice a week...I LOVE IT!! I have such fun watching the kids grow and learn to read and how they are so proud of themsleves with what they are learning and reading...it's fun to watch and experience. Today I was about done when the principal came over the loud speaker and said that the school was in locked down. Immediately the kids hunched against the wall and everyone got really quiet, lights were out, no one moved...well not very much anyway, after all we are talking 6-7 year olds. Thing that struck me is that no one seemed overly scared or concerned...they just hunched down and smiled as if it was no big deal. Now granted like I said these were 6-7 year olds, but I was scared...and believe me, they may say that there is no prayer in school, but while I was kneeling on that floor I was praying...for the kids, the school, everything. It struck me that unfortunately that is what our kids are subjected to in today's society...kind of like back in the day when you did bomb drills and went to bomb shelters...a bit before MY time mind you, but I'm sure the same thing...long gone are the days of the simple fire drill or tornado drill...now the kids have lock down. Scared me...and makes me worry about my kids...and its a shame that our children have to be subject to that...that there are those out there that don't care if they hurt you...it truly is sad.

Also on another sad note, and I apologize for the downer post, but since working at the church I have had my eyes opened to how bad our economy in our area truly is and how so many people are truly hurting out there...it first of all makes me extremely thankful for all that I have, and it burdens my heart to see those out there struggling. I pray that somehow this economy can turn around and very very soon! More of our factories here in town are shortening work weeks and threatening closing...I pray that it turns around soon, but I' afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Well...I better go, again sorry for the downer post...on a good note...we are going to Sandusky this weekend to go visit Kevin's Great Aunt Thelma...we always celebrate Christmas with her before for she leaves for Florida...so though I heard it's supposed to be extremely cold this weekend, I pray we have a good relaxing time...we are overdue for it.

Take care and have a good weekend!

1 comment:

Jada's Gigi said...

God Bless your family, Tammy! hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!